Imagine eating a slice of delicious pumpkin bread which offers the added benefit of fruit. Well, here’s a straightforward scrumptious pumpkin bread recipe with canned pumpkin and bananas, served alongside a spicy apple sauce that is so delicious it will have you licking your fingers.
What you’ll need:
– Two (2) peeled and mashed ripe bananas
– One cup of canned pumpkin (drained and mashed to get rid of any large pieces)
– 1/4 cup of canola oil, or extra virgin olive oil
– Two eggs, at room temperature (you can separate the egg whites and egg yolks and use them separately)
– Two (2) cups of whole wheat flour (or one (1) cup of wheat flour with one cup of processed flour)
– Half a cup of rolled oats
– One (1) teaspoon of baking powder
– 1 teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate
– Half a teaspoon of salt
– Two-thirds of a cup of granulated sugar
– Half a teaspoon of nutmeg (grated)
– Half (1/2) teaspoon of ginger, grated
– 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
– Heat the oven to 350F.
– Grease and flour a 9×3 in. loaf pan and set aside.
– Take the eggs in a mixing bowl and add the banana and pumpkin to it. Beat together using a blender at a low speed.
– (Note: If you’re using egg yolks and egg whites separately, then add the banana and pumpkin to the egg yolks and whisk. The egg whites should be added after mixing.)
– Add the sugar and oil to the mix and beat some more.
– Sift the flour, baking powder, sodium bicarbonate, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt and rolled oats together in a bowl.
– Add the dry mix to the egg-pumpkin-banana mix and blend well till the batter is just moist.
– Pour the batter in the greased loaf pan. Smooth the top.
– Bake in the preheated oven at 350 F for approximately one (1) hour till the outside of the bread is firm.
– Remove from the pan and cool then cut in slices to serve.
Spicy Apple Caramel Sauce Recipe
This sauce is an ideal accompaniment to the bread.
What you will need:
– One cup of heavy cream
– 1/2 cup of apple juice
– 1 star anise
– One in. piece of fresh ginger
– Four (4) cloves
– Two cinnamon sticks
– One-eighth (1/8) of a teaspoon of nutmeg (grated)
– 1 1/2 cups of sugar
– One (1) tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
– One (1) tablespoon of apple schnapps
– Half a cup of water
– In a shallow pan, heat the cream, apple juice, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg and star anise over a low heat. Simmer for eight (8) minutes. Don’t stir the ingredients.
– Remove the pan from the heat and sift carefully into a clean bowl.
– In a separate pan, heat the vinegar, sugar and water until the mixture turns into an amber brown liquid.
– Slowly add the cream mix to the vinegar mix and whisk well.
– Add the apple schnapps and heat for another thirty seconds.
– Remove the pan from the heat and serve warm with the pumpkin bread.
Anukriti has a novel viewpoint on bread and bread recipes. Anukriti’s keen eye for ’cause and effect’ enables her to substitute local ingredients and methods in classical bread recipes.Her Scrumptious Pumpkin Bread Recipe with Canned Pumpkin is Anukriti’s latest superb offering.More of Anukriti’s unique recipes can be found on Bread Recipe Secrets.