Making Apple Pie Filling
This recipe can make A single double crust apple pie, and fulfills 8 people.
6 cups Granny Smith apple slices, peeled and cored,
1 teaspoon lemon juice,
3/4 cup sugar,
1/2 cup brown sugar,
1/2 cup flour,
1/2 – 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon or nutmeg to taste,
2 Tablespoons cold butter, cut in small pieces,
1 Tablespoon milk or cream for brushing the top crust,
1 Tablespoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon for dusting the crust ,
1. Blend chopped apples together with lemon juice in any huge bowl. Stir in sugars, flour and spices, stirring gently.
2. Dispense into homemade pie crust and sweep using cold butter.
3. Smoothly and thoroughly open the reserved top crust on top of the apple pie filling and then shift when necessary so the edges hang about equally in the sides. Working with a sharp knife or scissors, trim down the corners of the crust just until they extend around 3/4″ from the side of the plate edge. Fold up the top crust above the bottom crust so the edge of the bottom crust is entirely enclosed around the upper crust to prevent the pie filling from overflowing especially during baking.
4. Carefully thrust both layers of pie crust simultaneously all over the entire side of the pie. Pinch the corners to create crimped sides.
5. Create a pretty style working with a pretty sharp kitchen knife all around the top crust. The slits will serve as vapor holes which would enable the steam throughout baking to escape.
6. You can smoothly sprinkle the top of the pie with sugar or using a little milk ahead of the sugar!
7. Bake for 50-60 minutes inside preheated oven till crust appears golden brown and juices will be bubbly. Cover up the corners with a piece of aluminum foil all around the rim if and when they begin to turn brown too quick.
8. Let the pie cool on cooling rack for a minimum of 30 minutes.
9. Serve Apple Pie like a pro together with ice cream or sweetened whipped cream.
10. Keep any leftovers.
The author is a good baker and a huge fan of apple pies. She has a blog about how to make this apple-filled dessert for starters. Click here to find out about this, or visit this website for more details, tips and videos on making apple pies.