Red is the colour of passion and almost all of the things that you see related to love are red. Red velvet cake recipe are truly famous when Valentine’s Day approaches. Here is a straightforward moist red velvet cake recipe for you to try out this Valentine’s Day and luxuriate in the colours of love.
What you need:
– All-purpose flour – Two (2) cups
– Sodium bicarbonate – 1 teaspoon
– Baking powder – One (1) teaspoon
– Salt – 1 teaspoon
– Cocoa powder – 2 packed tablespoons
– Sugar – Two (2) cups (tradition asks for brown sugar, but white sugar works well too)
– Vegetable oil – One and a half cups
– Eggs – Two (yolks and whites separated)
– Vanilla – 2 teaspoons
– Red food dye – Fifteen (15) ml
– White distilled vinegar – 1 teaspoon
– Plain hot coffee – Half a cup
– In a mixer bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
– Pre-heat the oven to 325F.
– Mix the oil and sugar together in a separate mixing bowl until the sugar begins to dissolve. You can use an electric mixer for this.
– Take the egg whites and beat them using an eggbeater till you get stiff standing peaks.
– Add the red food colouring to the egg whites and beat for about a minute more. Set it aside.
– In the oil and sugar mix, add the egg yolks and vinegar and beat well ’til the sugar completely dissolves.
– Add the hot coffee and mix well.
– Add the beaten egg whites to the mix and blend thoroughly.
– Add the flour mix to the wet mix, spoon by spoon, and mix well after each addition.
– Grease two 9-inch baking pans using a little butter and flour.
– Pour the batter in the cake pans equally. Smooth out the tops.
– Bake in the pre-heated oven for thirty (30) to forty (40) minutes.
– You will know the cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
– Remove the cakes from the oven and let them cool on wire racks before decorating or cutting in slices to serve.
While the cakes cool you can prepare the frosting. Below is a very easy recipe for white frosting.
What you will need:
– Cream cheese – Twenty-eight grams
– Milk – Two (2) tablespoons
– Butter – 4 tablespoons (at room temperature)
– Vanilla essence – One teaspoon
– Powdered sugar – 2 cups
– In a mixer bowl, combine the cream cheese, milk and butter.
– Once it is smooth, add the vanilla and confectioner’s sugar, and blend well until you get a smooth thick frosting.
To assemble the cake:
– On a serving plate, place one cake and spread a thick layer of frosting over it.
– Place another cake on top of it and cover with frosting on all sides.
– Chill for a little while before serving.
– You can make as many layers of the cake as you like.
About the Author: Anu is a dedicated baker whose eastern influence enables her to create the most superb cake recipes.Anu’s inspired creations can be discovered on Cake Recipe Secrets.This week you’ll find Anu’s Moist Red Velvet Cake recipe along with links to her other noteworthy cake treats.