Brussels Waffle Recipe
We said that you should take a really big waffle iron when you make Belgian Waffles but if we are more specific it’s the Brussels Waffle Recipe where you will have to go XXL or supersize :). The size itself makes them Brussels waffles. The Brussels Waffle Recipe is the same as regular recipe for belgian waffles (actually Brussels Waffles are one type of Belgian waffles with Liege waffles beeing the other one) just with less sugar . Only at the end, when crispy waffles make it out of the waffle iron, you cover them with vanillated or powdered sugar as a topping. We could just point you to our belgian waffle recipe for instructions but since we are sooo nice, here is it again:
Brussels Waffle Recipe
For a Brussels Waffle recipe we will need: 3 1/4 cups (1 lb. – 500g) all purpose flour one sachet (7g) instant dried yeast 4 medium eggs whole milk (you can also add some sparkling mineral water and make them even fluffier) two sticks (1/2 lb. – 250g) butter vanilla sugar some salt
Let’s bake some Brussels Waffles:
1. Take a cup of milk and heat it until it is lukewarm then mix in your yeast. You can now leave the yeast standing for a while.
2. In the mean time – melt the butter, but stop as soon as it melts, don’t over heat it or even burn it – you will lose the taste. You also need to…
3. …separate the egg yolks from the egg whites and beat the egg whites until you get snow.
4. Now take a big giant huge bowl and throw in all the flour, vanilla sugar (one sachet) and some salt. Make a hole in the middle of the flour and fill it with melted butter, dissolved yeast and egg yolk.
5. Mix while you are adding milk (and some mineral water if you want). You should mix it really well so there are no lumps. The question you might ask here is how dense should the dough be, how much milk? It should be thick, think pancakes and then make it a bit thicker.
6. OK, now gently mix the beaten egg whites into the dough…. and STOP! Enough mixing :).
7. We are really hungry right now but the hardest part of this recipe comes next – leave the dough to rest and rise at room temperature for a while. How long? Until the volume of the dough doubles or even triples! We told you to take a really big bowl. If you are in a hurry then wait for 30 minutes to one hour, but if you can, make the waffle dough in the evening and leave it overnight.
8. Use the oil to grease the waffle iron (which should be hot hot hot) so your waffles don’t stick to it and pour the dough in it. Bake the until they turn golden brown.
9. Sprinkle some powdered sugar all over the Brussels waffles.
10. Eat! 🙂
This is the end of the brussels waffle recipe so enjoy!
The author is crazy about waffles and features a website dedicated to it. It is going to give you various waffle recipes like this recipe. You can also check deluxe belgian waffles recipe for more about waffles.